Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Vacation Planning

Two days of work left before my long-awaited vacation.

I tend to have friends who are a lot better at being social than I am. These men are able to at least pretend never to be intimidated in a social setting. They never assume, as I do, that they are unwelcome or that other people would simply continue life without them. They seem to almost - almost - believe their presence is a good thing for everybody. I tend to assume the opposite.

This tendency will make for one very boring vacation where the whole point,  in my mind,  is to meet, and befriend, as many of the 200 - or so - men that are expected to go to this thing. I envy my friends their constant distracting relationships, text messages, and phone calls. Some never actually get caught up with everyone before they have to start over with the next round of incoming news.

So,  I've been considering going against type this coming week and being as obnoxiously gregarious as I can muster. Would it help if I attempted to introduce myself to everyone I could corner? If I introduced myself and asked to take a pic of us for my post-vacation slide show, would people just find me odd and a nuisance? Or could I embody a spirit of exuberant sociability that would help everyone have more fun?

Biggest question, of course...  could I maintain such an attitude without succumbing to the voice in my head that KNOWS I'm not really wanted?

No comments:

Post a Comment